Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Blood of Flowers The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
A fascinating insight into the culture of 17th century Iran, this novel tells the story of a young woman whose dreams of marriage and children are crushed when her father dies. In a male dominated society, the girl and her mother are forced to rely on an uncle for support. With a talent for rug making and an impetuous nature, the protaganist struggles to find her place in the world. A coming of age story, this novel pays tribute to the anonymous artisans whose marvellous creations endure today.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book as an insight into a world I could never imagine occupying. The love of rug making and discussion of colours and techniques appealed to my creative side, and I felt a strong connection to the unnamed heroine and her mother.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: